The best choice for your children’s camp experience is a camp, like Camp Live Oak, with American Camp Association (ACA) accreditation. ACA Camps set the standard in both safety and value while promising fun activities to help kids grown, create, and share. Since, as a parent or guardian, you may be asking why, let’s explore the reasons ACA camps are the best option for you and your kids.
What is an ACA-Accredited Camp?
ACA Camps offer fun-filled camp experiences in a structured and safe environment that meets ACA safety standards including ideal staff to camper ratios. ACA camps undergo an extensive peer review which includes emergency procedures, developmental activities, and staff qualifications to gain accreditation. In addition, the American Camp Association works in partnership with the American Red Cross, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and other youth services organizations to ensure ACA Camps meet the latest standards for camps in the promotion of growth, learning, and fun in a safe environment.
ACA accreditation is different than state licensing in several ways. State licensing, if required, is mandatory and varies considerably from state to state. ACA accreditation is voluntary and sets the standard for camps across the country. In addition, it carries the assurance of the camp’s commitment to their campers and families regarding programming, health, safety, emergency preparedness, and more with specialty standards for travel, water activities, and more.
ACA Camps Promise Premium Services
American Camp Association accredited camps focus on premium camp services in programming, health and safety, and camp environments including:
- Certified camp counselors and teachers who are caring role models, each with CPR and First Aid training. These high quality leaders are trained to guide programming effectively and meet or exceed ACA guidelines for every activity to safeguard the health and safety of campers and staff members. ACA camps promise staff to camper ratios according to guidelines for various age groups.
- Happy, healthy campers who have health screenings ensuring they are healthy and up-to-date on vaccinations. Each camp has a registered nurse or licensed doctor on site daily. All staff members meet the health and safety training requirements. Each camp offers a designated ‘health care center’ and must have emergency transportation available at all times.
- Each camper experiences appropriate development and learning activities providing opportunities in leadership and personal growth as well as activities in service to the environment and local communities.
- ACA camps deliver safer environments. These standards include safe food handling like hand washing, food service training, and appropriate refrigeration. In addition, ACA safety guidelines in feature water safety testing, playground safety, emergency exits, electrical safety, hazardous material disposal, and sanitary guidelines. Finally, vehicles used by ACA accredited camps must have regular maintenance and meet safety requirements, and can only be operated by those who have had driver training.
- The hiring process includes a staff screening with an application followed by interview and reference checks as well as criminal background checks. Once hired, staff are checked against the National Sex Offender Public website and required to sign a voluntary disclosure statement each year.
ACA Camps Enhance the Lives of Campers
Campers at ACA Camps are mentored by caring professionals who enhance the lives of campers through exploration of the natural world in a safe, positive environment. Campers are guided to value others and contribute to the world around them while they garner self-worth, leadership skills, self-esteem, and self-respect.
Choose Camp Live Oak – A Proud ACA Accredited Camp
Choosing an ACA Accredited Camp for Your Children means they have loads of fun and learn lots in a safe, nurturing environment.